Sunday 3 June 2012

Lady Eleanor Talbot (Lady Butler)

At the same site of Whitefriars Monastry in Norwich I found a plaque on the wall informing me that this is the final resting place to Lady Eleanor Talbot. I had never heard of her until this point and therefore had to do some research before I could post the photo on here.

Well, what a story I have come across with this one.

Lady Talbot was born in 1436, daughter of John Talbot the 1st Earl of Shrewsbury. In 1449, aged just 13, Lady Eleanor married Sir Thomas Butler, however in March of 1461 Thomas Butler died.

It is also commented that she had friendships with Edward IV. I discovered that he had siezed ownership of two manors she had owned with her husband. When she requested ownership of the manors back he attempted to have personal relations with Lady Eleanor, however she refused. At this he promised he would marry her.

In June of 1468 Lady Eleanor died at the age of 32 in a convent. She was later buried in the Carmelite Priory Church in Norwich.





No comments:

Post a Comment