Friday 1 June 2012

Lord Sheffield

I saw this plaque when looking for the site of the Church of St Matthew the Apostle. Even though I have walked past this plaque before I had not noticed it. Perfect for my site featuring hidden or forgotten histories.

So who was Lord Sheffield?

Well after some research I found out that Lord Sheffield was a gentlemen called Edmund Sheffield born 22nd November 1521.  Through his Mother he was second cousin to King Henry VIII. 

I also managed to find out that he married Lady Anne de Vere in 1538 and had 5 children. In 1547 he was elevated to title of Baron Sheffield of Butterwick. He was the first often known as Edmund Sheffield, 1st Baron Sheffield. Unfortunately on 1st August 1549 he was killed by a butcher in Norwich during Kett's Rebellion. Sources claim he fell from his horse in a street near the Cathedral Close of Norwich Cathedral and was struck by a butcher.





No comments:

Post a Comment