Thursday 12 September 2013

St Margaret's Church, Thorpe Market

So here is St Margaret's church at Thorpe Market which is just over 4 miles south of Cromer on the North Norfolk coast. I had seen this church several times over a period of months and finally got round to visiting. As I approached the building through the church yard I could see that while this church was old it was not from the medieval period which after some reading I found to be accurate.

St Margaret's church dates from the 1700's being built in 1796 on the instruction from the 1st Lord Suffield. It was built under the Gothic revival style and is one of the first buildings of this style of architecture to be built in Norfolk. St Margaret's church although built in 1796 is built on the same site as an older medieval church.

Although I was unable to take a look inside the church during my visit, I plan to visit again soon on a day when the church is open so I can visit inside instead.










No comments:

Post a Comment